CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Culture Shock Part II

Okay so on my previous note I talked about my drive from the airport to my apartment. (Pics coming soon) All of the buildings look exactly the same and because of that my coach and I were walking around from building to building trying the keys to see if they fit. Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself the setup of alot of "flats" or apartments you have gate to get into where the apartments are, once you find your apartment building its another gate then you walk inside and find your door. After walking around for like 10 minutes we find it and I walk in and I was like "wow"! The place is crazy! Three bedrooms, one in a half bathrooms, large living room and dining room, large kitchen which is unusual here supposedly, laundry room. We were hooked up! The thing that got me was "alright I see the washer where is the dryer?" So I looked out of the widow and saw all of my neighbors clothes hanging from a line. I was like "oh hell naw a line?" I couldn't believe it. But, the line was a big help of helping me find my building because I look up and see my leopard thong and my other intimate clothing just hanging three flights up in the wind. "Welp, There's my building!"

A big issue I have here is the food. I am the pickiest eater in the world and to top it off I have know idea how to cook. I lived off of fast food my whole life. They said Spain was really Americanized so I just assumed it would be fast food all over the place. WRONG. Aint no damn fast food but McDonald's and Burger King in my city. Spanish people LOVE to cook, therefore, fast food is something they eat every blue moon. Like at McDonald's people get all dressed up and go on dates and what not. One day I was in there and this chick had on a mini skirt and a fancy shit with heavy make up all that like she was really going somewhere and her boyfriend was dressed really nice too. I'm thinking they are getting their food to go. Nope. They are on a real date sitting across from each other gazing in each others eyes an all this eating a damn big mac...get the hell out of here go to a real restaurant, or better yet go home. lol. But everytime I'm in McDonald's I see that all the time.

I'm getting off track but I had big issues with my lack of cooking abilities I ended up losing 16 pounds these 3 months. When I first got here I went on strike until someone took me to McDonald's so sometimes I didn't eat for days. To me Ramen noodles is not dinner! I'm use to eating 3 times a day with the last 2 times is some sort of fast food. Big adjustment but now I eat Ramen noodles (of course), Frozen Pizza, French Fries, and occasional chicken wings. Terrible I know but thats the best I can do. Problem with it is not the health value...but the price! Frozen foods are not cheap! Frozen pizza I like is 2.89 Euros per pizza, the cheap chicken wings are 10 wings in a bag for 3.89...Ramen noodles 63 cents per bag! Basically I spend 50 bucks a week for food. It's really killing my pockets.

One thing I think is really cool is all of the fresh bakery's. They are all over and the breads and doughnuts (i don't experiment with unknown foods so we'll leave it at that) are delicous! I love it. I look forward to Wednesdays which are my off days to walk to the bakery and get doughnuts and breadsticks.

But as for Spanish foods in general I haven't tried any. Why because I don't know what it is therefore I leave it alone. They might think I'm rude but its not because its Spanish, I just don't fool with food. I'm black and I don't eat soul food so please my Spanish homies don't take it personal.

In real restaraunts the service is iffy. Sometimes the waiters and waitresses are really nice they get you what need they work hard which is unusual according to my coach. I'm saying to myself "unusual hmm?" Well my question was answered when the bill came and it was time to tip. 10%?? 15%?? Not even close you give them change!! I wouldnt want to serve your ass either if you gave me 35 cents! He said, "If you like the food and service you leave them some coins". Wow. All this time I was tipping the pizza man 2 or 3 Euros!! Coach told me the pizza man probably thinks I am his queen because you dont tip here! Oops. Well at least I made somebody happy. I'm glad I know now but still I feel bad just giving waitors and waitresses spare change. I mean they have a hard job!

The people. Super friendly and really nice. I guess I'm use to rude people but I'm a friendly person if I make eye contact with you I'm going to say hello whether I know you are not so these people are right up my alley! Only thing is that you have to kiss people "dos besos" two kisses. Me I am not the most affectionate person in the world and I have to kiss everybody I meet! It was an adjustment but now I don't care kisses for everyone!!

*besos*

0 comments: